[erlang-questions] Send VM metrics to Grafana

Siraaj Khandkar siraaj@REDACTED
Fri Feb 24 18:18:54 CET 2017

On 2/20/17 11:26 PM, Jack Tang wrote:
> We try to integrate the metrics to our grafana monitoring by adding
> infuxdb consumer. Thanks Siraaj.

The pleasure is all mine, Jack. Let me know if you have any
problems/questions/ideas.

> BTW: Did somebody collect the crash metrics, like the count of crashed
> process, the restart count of the process and etc?

I haven't come across it before, but it sounds like a great idea.

Off the top of my head I can't think of a general and direct way to
collect that without instrumenting a supervisor (either by patching
stdlib or user app).

Any ideas?

The only thing that comes to mind right now is snapshotting PIDs at each
collection and tracking the duration of each uptime, then we can compute
whatever statistical summaries on current uptimes (e.g. if something
starts to crash too-often/too-soon it'll reduce the expected/normal min,
med, avg, etc.). There're certainly problems with this approach, since
it'd be just an approximation, but it doesn't sound terribly
unreasonable to me right now.

More thoughts?