[erlang-questions] Libsodium bindings

Thu Dec 14 15:16:45 CET 2017

Hi,

jlouis/enacl is definitely maintained. It is just that there is not much to
do with the functionality in there because most of the base functionality
is present and I'll just have to add a couple of functions as people
request them.

The strength of enacl, at least compared to other solutions, is that it
contains a QuickCheck model for testing it does the right thing. Due to
work by Irina Guberman and Zane Beckwith (both working at Xaptum), this
model can also be run with QuickCheck mini. This was used to verify that
the code also worked on the MIPS architecture, and it can be used for other
embedded device work.

Enacl uses dirty schedulers, but doesn't do so for very small quick calls
under a threshold, where the move to/from the dirty scheduler is too
expensive. There is a blog post on the subject [0] where the basic idea is
this: Once the overhead of moving to a dirty scheduler is less than 5-10%
of the runtime, we just move the work to the DS. By experimenting with
dtrace, we can find that threshold point.

[0] https://medium.com/@jlouis666/erlang-dirty-scheduler-overhead-6e1219dcc7