[erlang-questions] GUI development with Erlang

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Thu Dec 7 02:45:57 CET 2017

On 6/12/17 9:04 PM, Zachary Kessin wrote:
> I had thought it would be an interesting idea to build a GUI toolset
> around Erlang such that each widget on screen was a process. That being
> said I think to develop such a toolkit would probably cost on the order
> of $1,000,000 (Total guess on the number).

I once saw this done in Flat Concurrent Prolog.  It worked very well,
and was done by one person in about a year.  I was quite impressed by
it, and ever since have been struggling to try to remember the name
of the author.

This was more than 20 years ago, so I have *some* excuse for not
remembering.  Mind you, this was in the era when people thought a
4MB computer was *plenty* to run OS, GUI, Emacs, and compiler all
at once..., so we aren't talking about a *lot* of code.  Which I
guess is the point.  Start with just enough GUI for the task at hand
and grow it.

> If I had to develop a desktop app with Erlang I would probably use
> something like Electra to do a virtual browser with an Elm Frontend.

Links?