[erlang-questions] Question about buffer size given to erl_receive_msg in erl_connect

Lukas Rieder l.rieder@REDACTED
Thu Aug 31 18:32:52 CEST 2017

Hello everyone,

I have a question about the bufsize argument in the erl_receive_msg
function provided in erl_connect.

I do not quite understand what impact a given bufsize has on the operation
of a C-Node.

Is it limiting the amount of data that can be transferred to a C-Node?

Quickly trying some things out, with a buffer size of 1000 chars, I could
send messages to the C-Node back and forth, that are way bigger than a 1000
char buffer.
So I suspect the buffer is only a "buffer" and not limiting anything per se.

But what is a good bufsize?
And when does one use erl_xreceive_msg over erl_receive_msg?

I could not find any good examples on the internet on erl_xreceive_msg.
The implementations I found that are using erl_receive_msg all are using a
bufsize of 1000.
I would be very happy, for my own understanding, if someone can give me
some hints or explanation on making these choices.

Kind regards,

Lukas Rieder