[erlang-questions] How to convert sql return data to json

Thu Aug 31 15:13:46 CEST 2017

The way Erlang systems handle JSON data is the following:

1. In Erlang, every value passed around is an "Erlang Term".
2. A subset of these terms are representable in JSON.
3. JSON encoders such as 'jiffy' or 'jsx' are able to take the valid subset
from 2 and convert it into a binary containing the equivalent JSON
representation.

Your problem can be solved by taking the data you obtain from MySQL and
then convert the data into a form which follows the valid JSON subset and
has the structure you want. Then call something like `jsx:encode(Data)` on
your `Data`.

Some background on 2 above: Erlang terms can contain tuples such as {ok,
37} or {error, not_connected}. These do not have a representation in JSON
(since it lacks the equivalent of a symbol/atom and tuples). So most JSON
encoders reject Erlang terms containing tuples as subterms. The details
depend on the encoder though.

I can't remember if MySQL is able to return a result set directly as JSON,
and if it were, you have to check that the driver you use can handle such a
result as well--I can't help you much in this case, unfortunately.

Hopefully this will get you started on a solution!