[erlang-questions] QuickCheck module for testing the new string module

Björn Gustavsson bjorn@REDACTED
Sun Apr 9 08:48:51 CEST 2017

Note that string_eqc.erl is in Gist in my Github user and
not in the otp repository.

The tests that we "provide" are in a common_test test suite:

https://github.com/dgud/otp/blob/1ac2425d7c4791fbce55cb662154e3646c5f9af0/lib/stdlib/test/string_SUITE.erl

Those tests don't require QuickCheck or any similar tool.
Tests for all bugs that we found using QuickCheck have
been incorporated into string_SUITE.erl.

We have no plans to incorporate QuickCheck into our
test suites or daily builds.

Using QuickCheck was just a way to find more bugs in
a (more or less) new module before we released it.
Instead of doing a traditional code review, we thought
that we would find more bugs if we would write
QuickCheck properties based on the documentation.

And, yes, we could have used PropEr. I was not
personally aware of triq. I choose QuickCheck
because Ericsson has a license and because I
have previously used eqc_erlang_program to
generate random Erlang programs to test the
compiler.

/Björn