[erlang-questions] Erlang documentation -- a modest proposal

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Thu Sep 29 09:19:53 CEST 2016

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 8:07 AM, Joe Armstrong <erlang@REDACTED> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 10:57 PM, Vlad Dumitrescu <vladdu55@REDACTED>
> wrote:
> > Okay, I gave it a shot. Made some small changes to the XSL and to the
> CSS.
> > Nothing too drastic, on purpose.
> >
> > http://download.erlide.org/otp/lists.html
>
> Nice - I'd like a few change (which I'll try to do myself)
>
>     - change the ordering (it's alphabetic) - I'd like a 'best of' (or
> essential functions first) - the minimal set you should know about
>     - fold away the details - I'd like to see only the name and one-line
> header
>        possible the spec and examples should appear in a hover box
>       (and yes I don't mind if it uses JS)
>
>    The goal of these changes is to pack more relevant information into my
> limited screen space

Yes, this is just a quick thing I did last night. It can be improved in
many ways.

The ordering is part of the content, not the presentation, and it's
certainly a big job.
Besides, some users might like the alphabetical order... so I think that
the best way would
be to mark up the source, adding different indices and groupings, and
linking to semantically
related functions. Then the user could choose how the data should be
presented, depending
on the current needs.

The folding is relatively easy to achieve. My example has no JS on purpose.

There are multiple ways to solve problems. As with anything else, it's a
matter of how much time
one can invest in implementing them.

regards,
Vlad