[erlang-questions] maint branch failed to build on osx

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Tue Sep 13 12:05:59 CEST 2016

Blaming the build system is not helpful, all it's missing is a target
that puts the repository back to its initial state. I suspect that
target was never added because it's just as simple to do a git clean in
most cases.

Perhaps the only overcomplicated thing to fix is properly documenting this.

On 09/13/2016 11:13 AM, Dmytro Lytovchenko wrote:
> Assuming it built before but doesn't build now:
> make clean does not do complete cleaning, some stuff remains on disk and
> can create problems. I can blame the overcomplicated build system.
> Anyway try git clean -f -x, or do a clean checkout from git (or faster:
> git clone from one directory to another, but then you lose git remotes).
>
> If it never built for you before, then no amount of cleaning is going to
> fix it. Show the errors which you receive.
>
> tis 13 sep. 2016 kl 10:48 skrev Leo Liu <sdl.web@REDACTED
> <mailto:sdl.web@REDACTED>>:
>

>     On 2016-09-13 05:09 +0200, Björn Gustavsson wrote:
>     > On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 4:10 PM, Leo Liu <sdl.web@REDACTED
>     <mailto:sdl.web@REDACTED>> wrote:
>     [snipped 6 lines]
>     > Did you run "git clean" to clean the repository before running
>     those commands?
>     >
>     > Cleaning the repository is often necessary if you have switched from
>     > the master branch to the maint branch or vice versa.
>     >
>     > /Bjorn
>
>     Did that and got the same failure. Then make clean and got the same
>     failure.
>
>     Looks like somewhere something is wrong.
>
>     Leo

Loïc Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu
Author of The Erlanger Playbook,
A book about software development using Erlang