[erlang-questions] Security scanning tools for Erlang?

Technion technion@REDACTED
Thu Oct 27 07:15:28 CEST 2016

I think the difficulty here is defining what such a tool would ever evaluate.

Erlang is memory safe, so the myriad of tooling for C just doesn't make sense. If you look at static analysis tools for languages like PHP, you're looking at things like unsafe use of MySQL_query(). static analysis tools for Ruby basically look for poor use of the Rails framework. Except such a thing isn't part of the standard library in Erlang, and it would be infeasible for a security scanner to "just work" with the myriad of requirements of various third party libraries. I've used Fortify, and I cannot think of a single thing it actually detects on any platform that would be relevant to the Erlang standard library.

I appreciate having a directive handed down like this requires just doing something, so I would suggest:

* dialyzer, whilst not being directly targeted at security, can identify programming bugs which may well be security issues.

* Proper and related tools can identify unexpected behaviour, which in turn can be considered a security analysis

* Assuming you have a web API of some description, utilising something like ZAP to approach that as a black box web application can be an effective measure.

________________________________
From: erlang-questions-bounces@REDACTED <erlang-questions-bounces@REDACTED> on behalf of Marco Molteni <marco.molteni@REDACTED>
Sent: Thursday, 27 October 2016 5:13:22 AM
To: erlang-questions
Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] Security scanning tools for Erlang?

I am not aware of any static analysis tool for Erlang.

On the other hand, there are tools that are language-agnostic and that look at the attack surface from the network and I/O point of view.

For example, peach the fuzzer (commercial), scapy (lower-level, requires to customize, open source), american fuzzy loop (open source) and many others.

Or, although not a security tool, the very advanced concolic testing tool by Kostis, CutEr (see recent presentations at Erlang Factory).

I understand all the propositions in the list above require way more time to setup than a static analysis tool. On the other hand, I think they are very important if one _really_ cares about security.

marco