[erlang-questions] Erlang documentation -- a modest proposal

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Sun Oct 2 19:19:25 CEST 2016

On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 12:23 PM, Dmytro Lytovchenko <
dmytro.lytovchenko@REDACTED> wrote:

> Here tonight I have experimented with XSLT which generates man pages and
> made it produce RestructuredText instead:
> It is not perfect, but i have cut my time at 6 hours and here's the result.
> http://imgur.com/3kbecSI (using 'classic' template, output has Man page
> sections because it was based on man page XSLT)
> http://imgur.com/7IFr30X
>
> It is using python function markers, so it ignores arity and args just
> takes the function name, i am able to link to specific functions and types
> (this works across whole documentation project, if i'd have more than 1
> file).
>
> It produces still erlang.3 man file which is RST inside (did not bother to
> modify the Makefile yet)
>
> My offer was to take this in stages:
>
> 1. Add a RST target XSLT (taking my POC as a base or not), generate
> temporary RST files into a temporary project and build HTML, PDF, man (also
> Sphinx offers epub format) without affecting original docs, and keep
> working to make it better.
> 2. Work on XSLT until it produces desired results. Add new entities to
> Sphinx with Erlang funcs/types support (includes some Python scripting).
> Sphinx also can do autodoc (i.e. refer into existing modules for some doc
> pieces), possibly we can shift complex postprocessing ERL/BEAM files to a
> shorter Python script reading from them.
> 3. When the output is good enough, scrap the XML and XSLT. XSLT is bad,
> XSLT 1.0 is even worse. It lacks many features of modern XSLT and both of
> them are pain to edit. From then on RST and module edoc will contain the
> primary source of documentation. From here we can edit RST manually instead
> of generating it -- this is better control over the output.
> 4. Restyle. Add javascript to show/hide examples, etc. This is done by
> Sphinx templating and is much easier than XSLT (1.0 bah!).
> 5. Enjoy the pleasure of editing RestructuredText.

Great job, Dmytro!

* #2: it looks like there is an Erlang domain for Sphinx, don't know how
complete it is. https://pypi.python.org/pypi/sphinxcontrib-erlangdomain

* Regarding the autodoc extension, that would generate RST from edoc
comments, right?

* I'm not sure how to make sure the results are good enough. In the first
stage, there are two levels of unknowns: xml->rst and rst->html/man/pdf. I
would like to be able to test each separately, that is specifying how the
intermediary rst format will look like, taking into account the special
cases found in the xml sources (some of the xslt seems to be there to
handle such cases, but I may be wrong).

> P.S .I am not going into dragon realm of "not invented here" and "it
> introduces a dependency". Well, yes, yes it does, it passes the task to a
> better tool, which is designed to build documentation.

One added dependency and one that is removed (xsltproc chain) give a net
result of zero. :-)

The big hurdle is that the OTP devs need to learn about the new format and
toolchain, while the old ones "just work"(tm). On the other hand, I'm not
sure how easy would be to maintain the xml+xslt sources in face of the
large-ish changes we would like to make: the git history shows only few and
minor changes done since 2009. In the end, it's their decision if a change
is worth it, and an automatic conversion xml->rst helps a lot make the
decision easier.

best regards,
Vlad