[erlang-questions] Sync transaction vs dump log in mnesia

Dan Gudmundsson dgud@REDACTED
Tue Nov 8 08:04:46 CET 2016

Mnesia does not sync the log to disc during transactions at all, that is
too slow.

If you really need to sync your data/writes to disc use mnesia:sync_log(),
which gives
some more safety, though notice that the data may still only be in
harddrive caches.

mnesia:dump_log() can be used, but that also goes through the log file and
ditches out the writes to table files before returning, so that is really
slow.

sync_transaction and sync_dirty syncs the writes between other nodes before
returning to the user,
so when combining with a dirty_read on a remote node the data is available.
If you also use transaction protection on your 'read' it is not necessary
to use sync functions.

Clearer?