[erlang-questions] How to disable parentheses matching in Erlang shell?

Grzegorz Junka list1@REDACTED
Sun May 15 23:45:18 CEST 2016

I just realized what is likely causing the problem. When I start the
shell with erl and type in this testing string (with spaces so it's
longer) it all works fine:

lists:sort([{a, 1}, {b, 2}, {c, 3}, {d, 4}, {e, 5}, {f, 6}, {g, 7}, {h,
8}, {i, 9}, {j, 10}]).

But I very rarely use Erlang shell in this way. Most of the time I am
connecting to running Erlang nodes using to_erl specifying the shell's
PID. Then it breaks, probably because my terminal size doesn't match the
default terminal size with which the shell has been originally started.

When I then try to type in the same example the shell will match each {}
correctly but as soon as I type ']' to close the list the cursor jumps
to the line above, then some other place when I type ')'.

So it's not related to the environment but to the way I am using Erlang
shell. Is there any solution to that?

Grzegorz