[erlang-questions] How to disable parentheses matching in Erlang shell?

Grzegorz Junka list1@REDACTED
Sun May 15 00:39:23 CEST 2016

On 14/05/2016 21:19, Kenneth Lakin wrote:
> On 05/14/2016 03:32 AM, Grzegorz Junka wrote:
>> Fixing my terminal to 80 characters only seems like taken straight from
>> the Windows world. I hope Erlang can do better ;)
> If ncurses can't determine your terminal size, then falling back to
> 80x24 makes a lot of sense. Do other ncurses-based programs behave
> incorrectly?

No. Everything else is fine. This problem is not related to my system,
as I have seen the same behaviour in Erlang running on FreeBSD, Ubuntu,
Red Hat and CentOS in different terminals, like putty, cygwin and Konsole.

>> Is there any way of
>> telling the Erlang terminal how wide is my terminal, e.g. an environment
>> variable?
> On my system, it looks like the environment variables LINES and COLUMNS
> correspond to the current size of my terminal window. When I set COLUMNS
> to a value that does not match the window's current size, then the
> Erlang shell's paren matching bounces the cursor backwards to the wrong
> place (but back forwards to the right place). Maybe this will be the
> band-aid you need.

I don't have such environment variables in my system and I don't
remember having them on Ubuntu or Red Hat (however I can't double-check
that now)

> However, it might be more useful to fix whatever is preventing ncurses
> from determining the terminal size.

Yeah, and even more useful if the Erlang shell allowed me to disable a
feature that isn't really necessary especially if it isn't working
correctly.