[erlang-questions] How to disable parentheses matching in Erlang shell?

Grzegorz Junka list1@REDACTED
Thu May 12 21:55:11 CEST 2016

This has been bothering me for quit a while. I am using FreeBSD for
Erlang development and it happens that in the Erlang shell, when I am
writing a long command, and say I am closing a bracket, the shell
automatically jumps the cursor to the opening bracket to show me which
bracket has been closed. That would be a great feature if it worked
fine. On longer lines the cursor jumps back to some random place and
then jumps back to some other random place and then the whole shell is
messed up. I have to copy the command to a text editor, delete all
characters from the current command line in the shell, edit the command
in the editor, then copy it back to the shell. When copying the command
to the shell it doesn't try to jump the cursor and doesn't mess my
shell. I also saw this behaviour on other systems, e.g. Red Hat. Is
there any way of disabling this "jumping" feature?

Grzegorz