[erlang-questions] Rhetorical structure of code: Anyone interested in collaborating?

Mahesh Paolini-Subramanya mahesh@REDACTED
Tue May 3 02:58:27 CEST 2016

> The way I read the original note about recording the process, I took it to
> mean all the experiments, all the wrong turns, as well as the final "right"
> turn that resulted in the code as it is so far

There is *so* much of note to unpack here!
It is unfortunate that most of the world tends to think of code as
something that is _Correct_, with any bugs being, oh, flaws in this
perfection.
Sadly, with the exception of the - very few - provably correct and optimal
things out there, most of everything that we do consists of an exercise in
multi-dimensional optimization across Requirements (conflicting, and
differing, based on source), Deadlines, People (that you work with, that
are involved, etc.), Access to resources, and so on and so forth.
So yes, for the *serious* practitioner, there are many many lessons to be
learned in recording the process.  That said, I strongly suspect that most
of these lessons are of the kind that are best imparted over copious
quantities of wine...

Cheers

p.s. Or beer. Or Pepsi. Whatever...

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 8:40 PM, Raoul Duke <raould@REDACTED> wrote:

> >> We just publish final code - but not the process involved to get to the
> >> code.
> > I am going to forward your message to a class because I think you're
> > completely right.
>
> The way I read the original note about recording the process, I took it to
> mean all the experiments, all the wrong turns, as well as the final "right"
> turn that resulted in the code as it is so far. While I can think of uses
> for such information, on the whole I think it is something mostly to be
> avoided. Mostly.

*Mahesh Paolini-Subramanya
<http://www.gravatar.com/avatar/204a87f81a0d9764c1f3364f53e8facf.png>That
tall bald Indian guy..*