[erlang-questions] ML shaped language for the Erlang VM

Torben Hoffmann thoffmann@REDACTED
Thu Jun 30 10:59:17 CEST 2016

"Richard A. O'Keefe" <ok@REDACTED> writes:

> On 29/06/16 4:10 AM, Louis Pilfold wrote:
>> How would pronounce BeaML?
>
> bee-mill, presumably.
>
> I note that Elixir is sort of Ruby-Flavour Erlang,
> but it's not called RFE.
>
> Since it's CAML-flavoured rather than (S)ML-flavoured,
> perhaps CARMEL (CAml-Resembling Modified Erlang Language)
> might work as a name.
>
> It's an excellent thing that Jeremy Pierre is doing.
>
> I have never been able to stomach CAML syntax despite
> my great respect for the work of Xavier Leroy and
> awed admiration for some of the things that have been
> done with it.  F# now has a "lite" syntax that comes
> closer to something I could bear to use.  There is
> some very interesting data mining work being done in
> F#, and that might also serve as an inspiration.

I agree - Caml is not as nice as SML.

> I got quite excited at the thought of something like
> ML running in Erlang, and was bitterly disappointed
> to find it was no such thing.  If you put "ML" in the
> name, you *will* raise and dash just such hopes.

Equally excited - have a number of notes on the topic, but never found
the time to turn it into something real.

And putting ML in the name will induce expecations.

Name suggestion: sial
Static Inferred Actor Language

Sial actually means the upper crust of the Earth's crust [1] - that would be a
suiting analogy as it will sit on top of the BEAM.

Cheers,
Torben

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sial

Torben Hoffmann