[erlang-questions] ML shaped language for the Erlang VM

zxq9 zxq9@REDACTED
Wed Jun 29 16:43:50 CEST 2016

On 2016年6月29日 水曜日 09:35:44 Garrett Smith wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 12:00 PM, Joshua Barney <joshmbarney@REDACTED> wrote:
> > Yeah I can see that being a concern, but I think "bee-mul" or "beem-el" with two syllables is clearly different from beam.
> >
> > Do you have a preferred pronunciation of MLFE?
>
> The market will determine this one - and I'm _pretty_ sure how that's
> going to play out.
>
> I'm with Tristan on BML (bee em el). There no current command or
> package that collides. It's accurate, descriptive and sounds cool -
> esp if you're a BMX/motorcross fan.
>
> BeaML is cool on paper, but IMO sounds lamo - bee-mul. Rhymes with weevil.

I actually like MLFE -> "milf-ee" -> Milfie. In part because of the
unforgettable (if risque) association, and in part because I letter
sounded acronyms drive me nuts.

Anyway, we obssess about this too much, and yet still tend to come up
with forgettable, graybeard, IETF-worthy jargonish names for everything.

Just call it Hooey and be done with it! ;-)

-Craig