[erlang-questions] maps or records?

Björn-Egil Dahlberg wallentin.dahlberg@REDACTED
Sun Feb 28 01:42:03 CET 2016

Whoa there ..

I just want to point out that you shouldn't have record sizes of upwards
100 elements. If the only thing you do is read them you are fine but
normally we do both reads and updates. I would say 50 is the limit but even
then you are pushing it. Above 30 I would consider splitting the array into
a tree.

I think records has there place. There is some overlap between maps and
records for sure and I think I agree with most of the things that has
already been said.
The dialyzer support for maps could be stronger. It is pretty weak at the
moment. Data modeling with records is easier.

I would consider using records within a module, if it's never changed or
upgraded and never leaks out to any other modules. Maybe between modules
within an application. Maybe. But I think you are better off with maps in
that case.

// Björn-Egil