[erlang-questions] Erlang for managers

Nathaniel Waisbrot nathaniel@REDACTED
Fri Feb 26 13:42:41 CET 2016

> On Feb 26, 2016, at 7:12 AM, Mahesh Paolini-Subramanya <mahesh@REDACTED> wrote:
>
> Slightly off-tangent, but you might want to first consider why your manager asked you for this, and tailor your answer appropriately :-)

A good point. In my experience, this question is often based on the worry that if you use Erlang you won't be able to hire any developers. I haven't heard many satisfying answers to this, either.

Fairly well-known is http://paulgraham.com/pypar.html where Paul Graham suggests that hiring for a more esoteric language mostly filters out candidates that you wouldn't want to hire anyway. That seems to work better as a justification after making the choice, rather than an argument in favor of picking a language.