[erlang-questions] Sending message at a specific and accurate time

Rickard Green rickard@REDACTED
Wed Feb 24 16:24:56 CET 2016

On 02/23/2016 05:06 PM, Felix Gallo wrote:
> I threw every available command line option at this to see if
> improvement could be seen --
> erl +K true +sbwt very_long +sfwi 1 +swct very_eager +swt very_low
> Erlang/OTP 18 [erts-7.2.1] [source] [64-bit] [smp:4:4]
> [async-threads:10] [hipe] [kernel-poll:true]
> Eshell V7.2.1  (abort with ^G)
> 1> t:test().
> [1005971,1005730,1003351,1005205,1004924,1003375,1005130,
>   1006166,1005846,1003769]
>
> ...perhaps a little, but nothing significant, unfortunately.
>
> OSX turns out to have a rich tapestry of low latency timers:
>
> https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Conceptual/KernelProgramming/scheduler/scheduler.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30000905-CH211-BABHGEFA

Running on a real time priority may perhaps improve things. Setting prio
of the vm is something that typically should be done by the user since
the vm doesn't know much about other processes on the system and how it
should be prioritized against them. It would have been nice with a
command line tool for setting things like this, but I didn't find any.

This can of course be implemented in the vm using the above api, but
there need to be options for configuration of it by the user.

> as do FreeBSD and Linux, although their model and guarantee are a little
> less real-time:
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=usleep&sektion=3&apropos=0&manpath=freebsd
> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man2/nanosleep.2.html

These kinds of primitives aren't optimal (from a functionality
perspective), and can at least not be used out of the box.

Schedulers always need to be able to be woken by various events, but
with the sleep time limited by a timeout. Such events might be; data has
become available to read on a file descriptor. In this case you
typically want to wait using select()/poll()/... Such events might also
be an incoming message making a process runnable on a scheduler that
currently is sleeping.

In order to use plain sleep primitives like those above, either:
- another thread needs to perform the sleep and then wake up the
scheduler that should be woken, or
- another thread needs to wait for other events (such as fd events) and
wake up the scheduler that should be woken using a signal.

This at least introduce scheduling of an extra thread which might make
things worse.

Using them for a semi-busy wait (only checking for other events when
woken by these primitives) will introduce increased latency for those
events.

Regards,
Rickard