[erlang-questions] Updates, lenses, and why cross-module inlining would be nice

Michael Truog mjtruog@REDACTED
Wed Feb 17 08:50:45 CET 2016

On 02/16/2016 11:20 PM, Pierre Fenoll wrote:
> Release inlining could be a compiler option only activated when desired.
> It would require no additional semantics to the language, only the additional lantency associated with swapping inlined code times the number of modules, though we may be able to go sublinear here.
If you are unable to update a system with separate components (and instead need to update everything to make sure the system is able to function correctly), the difference between that and simply restarting the operating system process becomes negligible, unless you consider the extra complexity when not simply restarting the operating system process.  There are other details like keeping ports open that could work when changing everything, or it might not.