[erlang-questions] Updates, lenses, and why cross-module inlining would be nice

Pierre Fenoll pierrefenoll@REDACTED
Mon Feb 15 16:38:17 CET 2016

This is surely a very naive idea on how to one day get cross-module inlining
or at least enlarge the range of possibilities for the JIT.

A lot of inlining is impossible due to the possibility to hot-swap code.
But what about in the context of a release?

When creating a release (or updating an old one),
the compiler/relx/whatever is generating the release has a clear and finite
scope
of all the code that will be shipped and run.
Maybe not a clear idea of extra dependencies or resources,
but at least all the Erlang code should be there.
Then a compiler would be able to do supercompilation, agressive inlining, …

I was thinking that we could then get a release that resembles an executable
and if we can link external dependencies (OpenSSL, …)
we would then have a somewhat standalone binary that kind of works like
escripts.

Is my reasoning right?
Where am I on the scale from extremely naive all the way up to ROK?

Cheers,
--
Pierre Fenoll