[erlang-questions] Atom Unicode Support

John Doe donpedrothird@REDACTED
Tue Feb 2 17:55:46 CET 2016

Yes, to_upper and to_lower would be nice to have, but I think the most
important is to_nfc().  to_nfc() and to_nfd() are the basis for unicode
support, and for distinct string() type, incompatible with both lists and
binaries.

About unicode atoms and nfc - are you ready to have atoms 'è' and 'è',
which are actually both the same and different in the same time? The one of
them is 2 byte long  in utf-8, another is 3 bytes long. But it is still the
same character, just in nfc and in nfd forms. Both variants are used in the
wild by different editors.
It may look harmless in most cases, but wait until you hash the value and
use the hash for the password check.

I myself born and live in a country with non-latin script, and use unicode
every day in software, but allowing unicode atoms isn't the most important
thing about supporting proper unicode in Erlang.