[erlang-questions] Idiomatically handling multiple validation checks

Dmytro Lytovchenko dmytro.lytovchenko@REDACTED
Tue Dec 6 10:13:34 CET 2016

For things like web form or input validation and transformation, it is
often a good idea to make a chain of nested calls.

Imagine your user submitted a form which you store in Data = #{login="",
password=""}, you can do something like this:

try
    create_session(check_password(check_login(Data)))
catch throw:{validation_error, E} -> my_report_error(E)
end,...

Here each function (check_login, check_password, create_session) takes
result of the previous function, it can be that same Data, or Data paired
with some intermediate results if you wish. To signal an error you use
erlang:throw({validation_error, "my error"}) and it will be caught in the
catch clause.