[erlang-questions] Status of map pair support in dialyzer

Magnus Lång margnus1@REDACTED
Mon Apr 11 14:23:20 CEST 2016

On 2016-04-11 13:25, José Valim wrote:
> That's excellent news Kostis!
>
> I have only one question/reservation:
>
>     Another problem is related to the meaning of #{}. One would expect
>     that this notation means "the empty map," but instead it means
>     "any map".
>

> #{} in pattern matching also means "any map", so it may be confusing
> to have #{} in specs to mean the empty map, specially because both
> usages are often close to each other. For example:
>
>     -spec increment(term(), #{}) -> #{}
>
>     increment(Key, #{} = Map) ->
>
>       Map#{Key := maps:get(Key, Map) + 1}.
>
> I also understand that [] and {} in typespecs implies emptiness and
> making #{} mean "the empty map" would make the typespecs more consistent.
Actually, that is not the reason I wanted to make this change. Rather,
it is inconsistent with the #{PairList} syntax. Consider the type
#{x=>_, y=>_}. This type may only contain the keys x and y. So, the
value #{x=>1, y=>2, z=>3} does not belong to this type.
Now consider what happens when we change the type to #{x=>_}; the type
is made more restrictive. The key y is no longer allowed. But if we
repeat this process and change it to #{}, suddenly we have not made the
type more restrictive; we made it more allowing!

In fact, I have seen several people (myself included!) be fooled by the
#{} base case into believing that the #{x=>_, y=>_}, means the set of
values that match the pattern #{x=>_, y=>_}, which is not the case
(written with the new syntax, that type would be #{x:=_, y:=_, ...}).

So, I saw an opportunity to make the syntax self-consistent and more
intuitive before it would become harder to change. Either by changing
the semantics of everything but #{} in order to be consistent with
pattern matches, or by just changing #{} to be consistent with the rest.

Considering that the former would have broken the ability to write
associative-array-maps as #{Key => Value} (or required even more special
cases), the choice was clear.

> That said, maybe it would be better to not allow #{} altogether
> (deprecating it now and removing it later) and introduce an
> empty_map() construct? The empty_map() type is slightly more verbose
> but I don't expect it to be used frequently and, as such, the more
> explicit name is worth it. And if I understand the proposal correctly,
> both map() and #{_ => _} can still be used to represent any map, while
> #{_ := _} represents a non-empty map, so it feels all of our bases are
> covered.
>
> Thank you,

Although I am not against introducing an empty_map() alias, I don't
think disallowing #{} would solve the problem. Indeed, your example can
be trivially altered to commit the same mistake without using the #{} type;

    -spec increment(term(), #{count := C}) -> #{count := C}.

    increment(Key, #{count := C} = Map) when C >= 0 ->
       Map#{Key := maps:get(Key, Map) + 1}.

If anything, I think the #{} case is the clearest example of type =/=
pattern, and removing it would just obscure the problem.

Thanks for your feedback
// Magnus Lång