[erlang-questions] Status of map pair support in dialyzer

José Valim jose.valim@REDACTED
Mon Apr 11 13:25:00 CEST 2016

That's excellent news Kostis!

I have only one question/reservation:

Another problem is related to the meaning of #{}. One would expect that
this notation means "the empty map," but instead it means "any map".

#{} in pattern matching also means "any map", so it may be confusing to
have #{} in specs to mean the empty map, specially because both usages are
often close to each other. For example:

-spec increment(term(), #{}) -> #{}

increment(Key, #{} = Map) ->

  Map#{Key := maps:get(Key, Map) + 1}.

I also understand that [] and {} in typespecs implies emptiness and making
#{} mean "the empty map" would make the typespecs more consistent.

That said, maybe it would be better to not allow #{} altogether
(deprecating it now and removing it later) and introduce an empty_map()
construct? The empty_map() type is slightly more verbose but I don't expect
it to be used frequently and, as such, the more explicit name is worth it.
And if I understand the proposal correctly, both map() and #{_ => _} can
still be used to represent any map, while #{_ := _} represents a non-empty
map, so it feels all of our bases are covered.

Thank you,

*José Valim*
www.plataformatec.com.br
Skype: jv.ptec