[erlang-questions] Should we deprecate or modernize log_mf_h and rb?

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Fri Apr 1 22:10:38 CEST 2016

Hello,

I didn't know we had that. It sounds like a hidden gem in OTP, and one I
would say worth keeping/improving upon; but not necessarily as part of
OTP. If all I had to do was add an application as dependency to benefit
from this, I would most certainly do so.

On 04/01/2016 12:43 PM, Siri Hansen wrote:
> Hello list!
>
> log_mf_h is an error_logger event handler which logs events to disk and
> does log rotation. rb (report browser) is the tool for reading and
> formatting the logs. The implementation of both modules is quite old and
> outdated. The fact that there is a size field for the events of only 16
> bits, which we haven't got any complaints for, has made us believe that
> there might not be many users of these tools. I'm writing to the list to
> find out if this is correct...
>
> Are you using log_mf_h (e.g. by setting environment variables
> 'error_logger_mf_*' in sasl) and rb? If so, why - is it the log rotation
> or the binary logging (or both) that you are really after? Have you
> considered alternative tools?
>
> Kind Regards
> /siri@REDACTED

Loïc Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu
Author of The Erlanger Playbook,
A book about software development using Erlang