[erlang-questions] Erlang tracing

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Mon Sep 21 17:44:46 CEST 2015

My wish for tracing in Erlang is that it be dead simple to use. Maybe
this has changed or my impression is just wrong, but I've found the
tracing facilities to be quite complex to jump in with.

e2 has e2_debug, which I use all the time:

https://github.com/gar1t/e2/blob/master/src/e2_debug.erl

This simplifies the interface to tracing (at least it's suitable for
my general needs) and cleans up the output (IMO).

I really like redbug's ability to install a trace for a period of time
and automatically remove it. redbug is a damn nice tool that's seen
heavy production use (from what I understand). It could perhaps serve
as a point of inspiration.