[erlang-questions] Erlang OTP 18 memory leak / SSL

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Mon Sep 21 12:09:51 CEST 2015

On 09/21/2015 12:05 PM, Sereysethy TOUCH wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My application is both TLS-client & server. It is a web server which
> allows client browser to connect to server using websocket. I use cowboy
> as web server & web socket server.
>
> In erlang 17, our application runs for weeks and there is no memory
> issue. We only restart it whenever we have a new update. But since we
> update to elang 18, we need to restart our application every 2 hours.
>
> I use erlang.mk <http://erlang.mk> to compile our application, I am not
> sure how to set application env. settings. Is it the same if I use
> erlang.mk <http://erlang.mk>?

If you run a release, you can put the configuration in the sys.config
file (by default rel/sys.config) and run make again. See
http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/config.html

> [...]
>     better in 17 then 18.
>

>         If I want to set this session_lifetime option, where should put it?
>

>     It is an application environment setting. Search for app in the docs.
>

>         So there is no use that I should build the erlang 18 from maint
>         branch?
>

>     It is always a good thing to try the latest version, and if you
>     still have a problem it would be good if you could try providing a
>     way to reproduce the problem.
>
>     Regards Ingela Erlang/OTP tema Ericsson AB
>

>         Thanks,
>         Sethy
>
>         On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 2:51 PM, Ingela Andin
>         <ingela.andin@REDACTED <mailto:ingela.andin@REDACTED>> wrote:
>
>             Hello,

>             <touch.sereysethy@REDACTED
>             <mailto:touch.sereysethy@REDACTED>>:
>
>                 Hello,
>
>                 I did as what you told me by getting a shell console on
>                 the node.
>
>                 I run memory(). and see ets ate the most memory. And it
>                 increased overtime. I run ets:i(). and I found out the
>                 ssl_manager took a big chunk of what memory used.
>
>                 32794           client_ssl_otp_session_cache ordered_set
>                 0      89       ssl_manager
>                 36891           server_ssl_otp_session_cache ordered_set
>                 1564   67995    ssl_manager
>                 40993           httpc_manager__session_cookie_db bag   0
>                       299      httpc_manager
>
>                 So I think there is a problem with ssl_manager in Erlang
>                 OTP 18.
>
>                 Any workarounds?
>

>             Ok, the bug I fixed with the session table is on the client
>             side.  But your big ets table is on the server side.
>             Session data is by default  fairly long lived (24 h that is
>             the max recommended time to keep a session by the RFC),
>             you can set the ssl application variable session_lifetime to
>             make  its lifetime shorter which should mitigate your problem.
>             We have a backlog item to make a configurable threshold of
>             max sessions allowed to be stored in the table, which I am
>             sure will be
>             implemented fairly soon but alas  not for 18.1.
>
>             Regards Ingela Erlang/OTP Team - Ericsson AB
>
>                 Sethy
>
>                 On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 2:22 AM, Jesper Louis Andersen
>                 <jesper.louis.andersen@REDACTED
>                 <mailto:jesper.louis.andersen@REDACTED>> wrote:
>

>                     On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 6:34 PM, Sereysethy TOUCH
>                     <touch.sereysethy@REDACTED
>                     <mailto:touch.sereysethy@REDACTED>> wrote:
>
>                         I just recently updated Erlang to latest version
>                         OTP 18 on Ubuntu server. It uses cowboy
>                         (websocket), ranch, ssl, erlydtl & rabbitmq. It
>                         used to work fine in OTP 17. The program is
>                         correctly compiled but during the execution the
>                         memory kept increasing. I need to restart the
>                         process every one or two hours to free some memory.
>

>                     1. Get a shell console on the node
>                     2. call 'memory().' in the shell
>                     3. If it reports ets as the winner, call
>                     4. ets:i().
>
>                     This will give you a nice overview for where to look

Loïc Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu
Author of The Erlanger Playbook,
A book about software development using Erlang