[erlang-questions] unpacking big/little endian speed difference

Jan Chochol jan.chochol@REDACTED
Wed Oct 14 09:05:42 CEST 2015

The difference is really in "i_bs_get_integer_32_rfId" and
"i_bs_get_integer_small_imm_xIfId".

When looking in code, the "i_bs_get_integer_32_rfId" can extract 32 bit big
endian integer from bitstring - it is quite simple function, which can not
do much more, and even has fast path for binary (bitstring with byte
boundary).
On the other side "i_bs_get_integer_small_imm_xIfId" is quite complex
function, which can extract integer with any bit size, signed, or unsigned,
little, or big endian. It is quite complex, and even use some temporary
allocated buffers.

So the reason is, that there is special "fast" opcode for extracting 32 bit
big endian integer (probably because authors of BEAM VM thought, that it
will be more useful).