[erlang-questions] Mersenne Twister

Sat Nov 21 12:38:59 CET 2015

You also have crypto:rand_bytes/1, crypto:strong_rand_bytes/1 and
enacl:randombytes/1 if you need a CSPRNG. The rand module also makes sure
it seeds randomly if it has not been seeded yet, which helps in a lot of
situations where people accidentally forget to seed. The work here by
Kenji, Dan and Sebastiano is pretty good.

On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 11:53 PM, Felix Gallo <felixgallo@REDACTED> wrote:

> Aha, Jesper points out the rand namespace to me, which looks like it
> provides a bunch more PRNGs as of R18.  Thanks Jesper and, apparently,
> Kenji et al.
>
> F.
>
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 2:46 PM, Felix Gallo <felixgallo@REDACTED> wrote:
>
>> In 2011 there was discussion on this list around improving the stdlib
>> random number generator, perhaps to join the crowd of languages using
>> Mersenne Twister or a variant.
>>
>> As far as I can tell, that's about as far as anyone got; it appears that
>> random:uniform() is still Wichmann-Hill, which is apparently held in low
>> regard by randomness fans.
>>
>> Are there any extant plans to replace it with a more modern PRNG, such as
>> MT?  If they don't exist, what's the OTP team's current thoughts regarding
>> the likelihood of accepting such a patch?
>>
>> F.

J.