[erlang-questions] [ANN] Erlang/OTP 18.0-rc1 is available for testing.

Fred Hebert mononcqc@REDACTED
Thu Mar 26 18:21:57 CET 2015

On 03/26, Kenneth Lundin wrote:
>   - erts: The time functionality has been extended. This includes a
>   new
>   API for
>   time, as well as "time warp" modes which alters the behavior when system
>   time changes. You are strongly encouraged to use the new API instead of the
>   old API based on erlang:now/0. erlang:now/0 has been deprecated since it
>   will always be a scalability bottleneck.
>   For more information see the Time and Time Correction chapter of the
>   ERTS User's Guide. Here is a link
>   http://www.erlang.org/documentation/doc-7.0-rc1/erts-7.0/doc/html/time_correction.html

This is a bit complex, but frankly I think it is *great*. The mechanisms
are much cleaner than before to understand, moving to specific units is
great. Splitting strictly monotonic integers from motonic time is going
to be useful in the future, though I'm guessing a few more "accidents"
may happen in the code bases of people who haven't read the doc.

One question: is this module included in OTP?
http://www.erlang.org/documentation/doc-7.0-rc1/erts-7.0/doc/html/time_compat.erl

If we're expected to copy it or reimplement it locally, I would add a
note to please rename the module with a prefix for your app name
(myapp_time_compat) to avoid conflicts when building projects that all
use the same module.

Regards,
Fred.