[erlang-questions] Learning from Open Source projects?

Stéphane Wirtel stephane@REDACTED
Thu Mar 26 06:26:34 CET 2015

On 26 Mar 2015, at 6:23, Harit Himanshu wrote:

> Hello there!
>
> This is not exactly Erlang question, but since I am learning Erlang, I
> wanted to post this question here.
>
> Firstly, I am erlang newbie.
> I am reading book(s) and trying problems on Hackerrank
> <https://www.hackerrank.com/domains/fp/intro>
> I lose interest pretty quickly if I do not have project idea in my
> mind. So
> as I started searching, I get ideas like
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1282205/what-are-the-best-open-source-erlang-projects-files-for-a-novice-to-read
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1451278/best-open-source-projects-in-erlang-otp-for-learning
>
> Which brings an interesting point to me. I do like to read code. But
> what's
> the strategy?
>
> So questions are
>
> 1. How do you read/learn open-source library?
Cowboy, Ranch, Hackney if you want to read the code of HTTP
server/client

> 2. What techniques do you use to make sure you understand it
> correctly?
Just read, and try to understand, take a paper and write on it.

> 3. What Erlang projects (specifically) would you recommend a beginner
> take a look, read and contribute
on the github site, you have the search feature, just type "language:
elixir" in the search bar.

--
Stéphane Wirtel - http://wirtel.be - @matrixise