[erlang-questions] Announcing Erlang.org Code of Conduct

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Tue Mar 24 10:49:27 CET 2015

On 03/24/2015 03:35 AM, zxq9 wrote:
> Its not that top posting or bottom posting or addressing points by interleaved
> quotation is always best -- it is that of all the forms, top posting is the
> one most commonly associated with thoughtless, effortless responses that are
> likely to waste the reader's time.

The funny thing about this is that your client wraps lines at exactly 80
characters, which makes all the last word of each line wraps on my
screen and makes it much harder to read, wasting more time than top
posting ever would.

For example this is how your email looks like here:

In fact, top posting being the default for most mail clients is the
very thing
that makes me suspicious of top posts, because it is indeed effortless.
It is
likely anything quoted was only an inclusion incidental to thoughtless
use of
a mail agent, instead of something that required effort. In the few
seconds it
requires to place the cursor at the end of a message one has just a
moment to
reflect, to cool down, to visually recognize just how much irrelevant
digital
garbage one is about to bat right back at the mailing list server. This
is a
good thing.

I think this kind of issue, just like issues with top posting, are just
an email client limitation and not a problem with the writer. Clients
should make it easy for you to see that the rest of the email is just a
quote just like they should not display only one or two words every two
lines.

Computers are there to solve our problems, not the other way around.

--
Loïc Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu