[erlang-questions] Changes to Erlang.org Code of Conduct

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Fri Mar 20 17:12:00 CET 2015

On 03/20/2015 04:47 PM, Bruce Yinhe wrote:
> 1. The Code of Conduct was created on request from community members.
 > 3. We appreciate the good work and conduct of all our community members.
 > Over the course of the past seventeen years, there has never been an
 > incident of bad conduct of any community member.

Haven't seen anyone request it (it's in private I'm sure), and from what
you say it doesn't solve any immediate problem either. On the other hand
a public bug tracker has been requested numerous times, enough times
that it gets tiring to ask, and would have an immediate benefit. Skewed
priorities?

> 2. The style policy is now removed from the Code of Conduct. It was
> mistakenly placed in the Code of Conduct as it was originally intended
> as a sole “recommendation” or “guideline”.

Good. Take that, mutt users!

> 4. The Code of Conduct is open to discussion. You are welcome to submit
> your suggestions of edits to community-manager@REDACTED
> <mailto:community-manager@REDACTED>.
 >
> With the aim of creating a welcoming, inclusive climate within the
> erlang.org <http://erlang.org> community, we deem a Code of Conduct
> necessary and important to communicate our values to the people in our
> community, and to people who might be considering joining our community.
> Since our expectations of what is appropriate are not always in line
> with one another, a policy like this sets the ground rules and ensures
> that everyone is on the same page without any grey areas.

As many have pointed out in the previous thread, it's too opaque.
Discussing that doesn't seem to have changed much.

It doesn't have grey areas but who moderates, how, fair trial process,
redeeming process and transparency all are a complete blackout. "Send an
email to 'address' and hope he is in a good mood" is not a good
redeeming process.

Cheers,

--
Loïc Hoguin