[erlang-questions] Reverse Compiling Erlang AST to Erlang

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Fri Mar 20 14:57:20 CET 2015

There is some stuff in parse_trans to help.

1. parse_trans_pp.erl, which is designed to be used via escript as well
https://github.com/uwiger/parse_trans/blob/master/doc/parse_trans_pp.md <https://github.com/uwiger/parse_trans/blob/master/doc/parse_trans_pp.md>

2. parse_trans_codegen.erl, for generating ASTs.
https://github.com/uwiger/parse_trans/blob/master/doc/parse_trans_codegen.md <https://github.com/uwiger/parse_trans/blob/master/doc/parse_trans_codegen.md>
https://github.com/uwiger/parse_trans/blob/master/examples/ex_codegen.erl <https://github.com/uwiger/parse_trans/blob/master/examples/ex_codegen.erl>

3. Accidentally undocumented are the compile options ‘pt_pp_src’ and
   ‘pt_log_forms’, which instruct the parse_trans transforms to either pretty-print
  the resulting source, or to write the AST, into a separate file.

BR,
Ulf W

> On 20 Mar 2015, at 09:30, Gordon Guthrie <gguthrie@REDACTED> wrote:
>
> Folks
>
> I am generating some Erlang modules on the fly by generating ASTs.
>
> For expository and code review processes I would like to be able to output the corresponding Erlang source code.
>
> I have a hazy memory that this can be done, but damned if I can remember how...
>
> Gordon

Ulf Wiger, Co-founder & Developer Advocate, Feuerlabs Inc.
http://feuerlabs.com