[erlang-questions] Announcing Erlang.org Code of Conduct

Valentin Micic v@REDACTED
Thu Mar 19 11:51:02 CET 2015

Once I was a member of a mailing list that had a very rigid rule formulated in order to save archiving space.:  "quotations must not exceed  50% of the new message".

The unintended consequence of this approach was that people had to write more if they wanted to ensure that quote is given a fair chance of standing by itself;
or they have to quote less, which promoted off-the-topic follow ups (a.k.a. discussion manipulation).
Judging from my behavior on that list, I would have to conclude that people did read less of what was written (but they sure did manage to save some archive space).

Personally, I am in favor of include everything, but with a few considerations:

- Always top-post, and always include complete correspondence up to that time.
- If you want to quote something, extract it from the original (included) text (which will remain intact) and place it as a part of your top-post in order to provide a "closer" reference for your comment.

The include everything thus formulated could be regarded as a close relative to include nothing approach due to the following:

Let's presume that include noting approach, by definition, contains a top-post entry only.
Also, presume that in order to comment on a given point, such a point will be extracted from the previous mail and made part of the top-post (therefore, not using in-line commenting method).

Then, if one is interested in a HEAD (that is, top-post), it wouldn't matter if the TAIL is empty or non-empty list.

In other words. assuming that NEW_POST may take a form of:

NEW_POST = [TOP_POST]
         or
 NEW_POST = [TOP_POST|PREVIOUS_POSTS]

Then, archive maintenance may be as simple as:

[TOP_POST|_] = NEW_POST,

[TOP_POST|ARCHIVE]

V/