[erlang-questions] Including other peoples code in my code in a future proof way

Wed Mar 18 14:02:20 CET 2015

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 10:34 AM, David Welton <davidnwelton@REDACTED>
wrote:

> There is probably an argument to be made that using code from people
> who push tags and then subsequently fiddle with them is probably a bad
> idea in other ways too.

This is the stance taken by the Go community. If you destroy your "master"
branch, then people will eventually learn your project is bad and vendor it
by forking. Since import-statements contain the repository location, you
uniquely identify the version by its location. This solves some problems,
but is a phase-shift: it creates other problems, and time will show if they
are easier or harder to deal with.

--
J.