[erlang-questions] Announcing Erlang.org Code of Conduct

e@REDACTED e@REDACTED
Tue Mar 17 04:26:39 CET 2015

On 03/13/2015 04:54 PM, Loïc Hoguin wrote:
> On 03/13/2015 04:25 PM, Fred Hebert wrote:
>> On 03/13, Loïc Hoguin wrote:
>>> I see little need for a code of conduct that basically says "be
>>> nice". It's
>>> common sense after all.
>>>

>> Then the code of conduct shall not be a problem for you.
>>
>> What the code does, however, is put a context around when and how
>> someone can be reprimanded on the list, and for what reasons. It also
>> gives a path of escalation in case of disagreement. Without one, this is
>> basically left implicit to whoever is swinging the banhammer, and who
>> you know or can talk to.
>>
>> It sets expectations and context over what is expected from members
>> *and* from moderators.
>
> I am not so concerned about my behavior. Read it or not, most people
> will post fine. I am more concerned about the side effects of rules.
>
> When you write down rules, you always end up with some unrelated people
> trying to enforce these rules, despite it not being their job. This can
> create unnecessary conflicts. A number of these people will also try to
> enforce the word of the rules rather than their spirit.

it is a known issue.
and, yes, it is very serious issue.
usually it is stated in a top article of a CoC: "unsolicited moderation
is punishable with life long ban without prior notice"
optionally all "style-guide" postings are also forbidden and mildly
punished.

also it is very important to maintain a separate communication channel
for keeping the conference completely free from all moderatorial messages.