[erlang-questions] Announcing Erlang.org Code of Conduct

Vincent de Phily vincent.dephily@REDACTED
Mon Mar 16 12:37:35 CET 2015

On Saturday 14 March 2015 20:12:58 Laura M. Castro wrote:
> > If I were to critique something here, it would be that the current CoC
> > mixes text on social interaction[-1] (that is, how to behave with respect
> > to other people) from mailing list etiquette (how to quote, how to make
> > older mail readers happy[0]).
>
> I think this is a very good, constructive point. I agree.
>
> Also, from other emails in this thread, it seems to me that most of
> the criticisms are directed towards the second part, so perhaps
> splitting the two, as Jesper suggests, will not only benefit us as a
> group if/when our activity extends to other areas/tools (i.e. the bug
> tracker that he mentions), but also help us to reach consensus.

Yes, spliting the document makes sense. An actual "CoC" document and a "style
guide" one. May I even suggest a lightly-structured format like markdown ? I
feel it would have avoided the misunderstanding that one could get banned over
style rather than content.

As much as I dislike bad quoting (top-posting included), it's not something
that can threathen a community. Discussions about style shouldn't hinder the
adoption of explicit "be nice" social interaction rules, which are IMHO
important.

--
Vincent de Phily