[erlang-questions] Erlang/OTP 18.0 has been released

Kenneth Lundin kenneth@REDACTED
Thu Jun 25 12:23:43 CEST 2015

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 6:28 PM, Loïc Hoguin <essen@REDACTED> wrote:

> Fantastic release!
>
> There's an impressive number of interesting things. My pet peeves are
> optimized time handling, timers and references; variables as keys in maps;
> optional callbacks; cached dialyzer native compiles; erlang:get_keys; ets
> stuff; zlib:inflateChunk; maps for supervisor specs; and the
> io_lib:scan_format functions.
>
> I am not sure what is meant by:
>
>    OTP-10923  The Test Server application has been marked as obsolete and
>               will be removed from OTP in the next major release (OTP
>               19.0).

There is a separate erlang application named test_server which is used by
the common_test application. We don't think there
are any use of the test_server APIs directly it is always used via
common_test.

What we plan to do is to move the test_server modules into the common_test
application and remove them from the documentation. It will be internal
APIs in common_test.

By doing this it will be easier to make improvements in CommonTest without
need to keep the test_server APIs and behaviour compatible.

> What's the replacement?

Everything is included in CommonTest, no need for test_server as a separate
application.

/Kenneth, Erlang/OTP Ericsson