[erlang-questions] Is supervisor notified when child is restarted?

Sean Cribbs seancribbs@REDACTED
Tue Jul 28 17:23:35 CEST 2015

Hi Martin,

It sounds like you need either to use either registered names, process
groups, or the one_for_all strategy. Registered processes are the easiest
way, you can simply refer to them by the atom -- but you must expect that
sometimes messages will be lost if the process is restarting. Alternately,
if you change this supervisor's strategy to one_for_all you will ensure
that every process always has the correct state (assuming it already starts
up in the correct state), but existing work from non-failed processes can
be lost. For process groups, you can use pg2 [1] which comes with OTP, or
there are several alternate implementations available on github, but
messaging the other processes in this small group will incur additional
overhead.

Each solution has tradeoffs, I hope that helps you decide which one to use.