[erlang-questions] Why application:start can not accept any args?

Robert Raschke rtrlists@REDACTED
Thu Jul 16 14:31:52 CEST 2015

When you call application:start(myapp) then the corresponding application
tuple from the .app file for that application is consulted to find which
module contains the startup code. This is the line with the 'mod' key. This
specifies the module and the arguments to pass as a second parameter to
that module's start/2 function as {Mod, StartArg}.

The reason for this is that when you are working in a (semi)interactive
environment, you would simply call the start function directly. And this
usually happens during development or testing. But when you have a finished
system, you have automated startup using the application framework. In this
case any arguments must be available via configuration. Thus you can
provide the arguments as part of the application configuration in the .app
file. There you can have an entry {mod, {myapp, some_erlang_term}} and this
would invoke myapp:start(normal, some_erlang_term).

I have not seen this used very often.

Hope this explains it a little bit,
Robby