[erlang-questions] NIFs and hooking file descriptors to Erlang-manged poll

Sat Jan 31 16:59:58 CET 2015

On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 4:52 PM, Daniel Goertzen <daniel.goertzen@REDACTED>
wrote:

> What is the measure of control that the VM has over drivers that it would
> not have over native processes?  I've always interpreted native processes
> as being simpler and more capable than drivers but with exactly the same
> hazards (executing for too long, corrupting/crashing, etc).  I've worked
> with NIFs but not drivers; perhaps there's some obvious aspect of drivers
> that I've missed.

Your observation is correct. Once you have a native process API, you are
essentially on the path to eradicate drivers from the Erlang system by
making them an extension on top of native processes. Of course, there are
details to be hashed out, but this is a possible path to take.

The fun thing is that this will also make the Erlang and Go runtimes a bit
more like each other.

--
J.