[erlang-questions] Hidden node and topic subscription rpc's

Michael Truog mjtruog@REDACTED
Thu Jan 29 06:59:25 CET 2015

On 01/28/2015 07:19 PM, Matthieu Tourne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I started using py_interface as a layer to do rpc into an Erlang system, receive and send message, and eventually provide functionality to the that Erlang system.
>
> One of the functions on the Erlang side would be :
>
> handle_call({subscribe, Channel}, From, State) ->
>   %% Saves From as a subscriber of this channel into the State
>   %% When something will arrive on the Channel From will get a message.
>
> The problem is when I'm sending an rpc:call via py_interface (a call message on the rex mailbox essentially). It seems that the pid associated to that rpc essentially disappears right when the rpc is completed.
>
> As I gathered from this example [1], an alternative way to do this would be to rewrite my handle_call this way :
>
> handle_call({subscribe, Channel, SubscribingPid}, _From, State)  ->
>   %% Saves SubscribingPid instead of From.
>
> And I would pass in the Pid of an active mailbox from my py_interface hidden node.
>
> My question is two fold, would there be a way to keep a live Pid in the system (maybe [2] answers this problem as a byproduct), for longer than getting a result to that rpc call.
> Or would a proper way to do this be to have a proxy process to make the link between rpc's and a live mailbox in my hidden node.
> Also, is a hidden node the best way of achieving all of this ?
py_interface makes the running Python interpreter into a hidden node, similar to a cnode (http://www.erlang.org/doc/tutorial/cnode.html), just using Python source code (like jinterface does with Java source code).  You could probably modify the py_interface source code to run as an Erlang port (http://www.erlang.org/doc/tutorial/c_port.html).  In both cases, all Python usage will have a single connection bottleneck (a single socket for a cnode and a single pair of pipes for a port). Depending on the Python source code, you could argue that it will never matter due to the global interpreter lock.

However, if you do care about Python latency, it is more efficient to use the Python CloudI API.  To do RPC you would send a service request to another CloudI service (based on your example, an Erlang CloudI service).  An example of a Python service is at http://cloudi.org/#Python to show how a service request can be handled in Python (adding a send_sync CloudI API function call (http://cloudi.org/api.html#1_send_sync) would be the same as doing RPC).  The Python CloudI API is implemented only in Python in the cloudi module and with Python/C integration in the cloudi_c module (the quickest Python integration).

I don't use py_interface, but the example you are probably looking for is https://github.com/tomas-abrahamsson/py_interface/blob/master/examples/test_remote_exec.py .  You specify the remote node, module name, and function name on the command line of the script and it performs the RPC call for you, converting types in the process.