[erlang-questions] Cast versus Call and timeouts

Bryan bryan@REDACTED
Mon Jan 26 20:09:36 CET 2015

> On Jan 26, 2015, at 10:46 AM, Imants Cekusins <imantc@REDACTED> wrote:
>
> it's a mystery alright.
>
> wouldn't gen_event be better suited for group notifications?

I have greatly simplified our system to describe the problem - our “group” process does much more than just notifications. We require gen_server processes to handle complex networking messaging and routing, something the gen_event manager would not be a good choice for TCP requests. Also, our system is not a pub/sub solution. There are usually only tens to a few hundred processes that are grouped and communicating with each other. Each type of process is very long lived, and the messages can also be heavy. An event manager, even for notification forwarding between processes, would introduce a level of complexity that should not be needed.

Thanks!

----

Bryan Hughes
Go Factory