[erlang-questions] embedded Java clients?

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Wed Jan 21 13:45:42 CET 2015

Hi!

This is what information I gathered, it looks not so bad. If anyone knows
better, please let me know.

- There are many Java ME variants, some very old (for very small devices,
like smartcards). I believe that these old small devices won't run
jinterface anyway, but need heavy optimizations, so we can ignore them. The
others have the libraries that we need most (the collections framework).

- Some of the older ME variants require source code compatibility with
older Java specifications. JInterface has been updated past those for some
time now and since nobody complained as far as I know, I suppose that
nobody uses it in that context and we're safe for now.

- No problems for Android, it's sufficiently recent.

- The only way that I can think of for making sure that unsupported
libraries aren't starting to get used is by building against all the
targets. This is resource intensive (both developer time and hardware
setup) and I would guess that it won't make it very far from the bottom of
OTP's priority list. So using jinterface in embedded projects should come
with a disclaimer about that.

In conclusion, we're safe for now. Expect some thoughts about future
evolution in the not so far future :-)

best regards,
Vlad