[erlang-questions] Is Erlang ideal for a global exchange?

Mihai Balea mihai@REDACTED
Tue Jan 20 04:54:13 CET 2015

> Erlang is an excellent choice if you value predictable latency and highly robust operation, even in the event of considerable load on the system.

I would tend to disagree with the first part. Any garbage collected language will not offer predictable latency - in a real time sense. Granted, the particulars of GC in Erlang make it so the variation in latency is small and localized. There is no “stop the world” event, but each process is prone to minute GC delays. Depending on application, these may or may not matter. In the case of a high volume, low latency exchange, they will.

I agree 100% with the second part. Out of the box robustness features in Erlang/OTP are second to none.

> Here, your main vehicle for scaling would be to buy more cores.

At some point time the general wisdom was the Beam VM would no longer scale linearly past 16 cores or so. Is that still the case in R17?

Mihai