[erlang-questions] Ideas on Distributed Programming on single machine

Mark Nijhof mark.nijhof@REDACTED
Sat Jan 17 20:53:58 CET 2015

I have had 14 different machines running on my 2 year old MacBook Air
(granted they where not doing a whole lot) by just using docker. Each
docker instance has its own IP and name ect. Worked really well. Make sure
that in each docker you run tmux so yo can check both the output and do
things with the machine.

What I do is put the Dockerfile in a sub folder of the project (because
docker copies all things in the folder the Dockerfile is hosted in into the
container and that is slow) and then map ../ to a mountpoint inside the
docker container. If your host is the same as the docker container then you
can build locally and just restart the process in the containers.

-Mark

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 8:46 PM, Christopher Meiklejohn <
cmeiklejohn@REDACTED> wrote:

> wrote:
>

> This is really dumb question and I am pretty sure that there is limit to
> how much distributed programming could be learnt using single machine(I am
> using Mac in this case).
>

>> I am reading through Programming Erlang, Chapter 14, Distributed
>> Programming where Joe talk about how to run Name Server in distributed mode
>> as
>>

>>    1.  I write and test my program in a regular nondistributed Erlang
>>    session. This is what we’ve been doing up to now, so it presents no new
>>    challenges.
>>    2.  I test my program on two different Erlang nodes running on the
>>    same computer.
>>    3.  I test my program on two different Erlang nodes running on two
>>    physically separated computers either in the same local area network or
>>    anywhere on the Internet.
>>
>> You can get pretty far using all of the networking tools provided with
> your operating system to simulate various network conditions.  I do all of
> my daily distributed programming and research using a stock MacBook.
>
> Consider Kyle Kingsbury’s work on Jepsen where he’s able to find bug in
> several major distributed databases.  There are also tools such as ‘tc’
> which can be used to add arbitrary latency between processes.
>
> For what it’s worth, Basho does a significant amount of fault testing on a
> single machine by using fault-injection tools, or by facilities like
> ‘intercepts’ provided by Riak Test.
>
> My advice is this: do everything locally on your machine until you have a
> reason to move to separate infrastructure; it will be easier to develop and
> debug.
>
> - Chris
>
> Christopher Meiklejohn
> Senior Software Engineer