[erlang-questions] Graphical display of messages

David Welton davidnwelton@REDACTED
Tue Jan 13 15:41:10 CET 2015

Hi,

I'm wondering if something like this exists:

I'd like to create various graphics to show the relationships between
different processes and/or applications.  I could see a couple of
different displays:

* The more messages go back and forth, the stronger a link is shown.
I think graphviz probably has a way to generate this.

* A "swim-lane" graphic that tracks who sent what when.  Useful for
getting an idea of how a system works.  Not sure how to generate that
one.

I envision it working like so:

1) Gather a list of pids for an application.

2) Trace those pids send/receive operations, and write those to a file.

3) Process the file and generate the desired graph...

Is there something like that out there already?

This is pretty cool, and similar to what I'm interested in, but not
exactly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHoWfeNuAN8 -
https://github.com/krestenkrab/erlubi

Thank you
--